In the Science Plan, US CLIVAR established a set of goals to address our mission:
- Understand the role of the oceans in observed climate variability on different timescales.
- Understand the processes that contribute to climate variability and change in the past, present, and future.
- Better quantify uncertainty in the observations, simulations, predictions, and projections of climate variability and change.
- Improve the development and evaluation of climate simulations and predictions.
- Collaborate with research and operational communities that develop and use climate information.
The following activities are part of the core science to address the above goals.