Wednesday July 7
Arctic Environmental Change (Peter Schlosser)
Climate Variability Reseach in the Southern Ocean (Alex Orsi and Kevin Speer)
Climate Extremes: The Drought Hazard (Brad Lyon)
Hurricanes and Climate (Gabe Vecchi)
Thursday July 8
Working Group Reports
High-Latitude Surface Flux (Gary Wick)
Decadal Predictability (Arun Kumar)
US AMOC (Chris Meinen)
International CLIVAR (Jim Hurrell)
New Climate Process Teams
Representing Internal-Wave Driven Mixing in Global Ocean Models (Jennifer MacKinnon)
Stratocumulus to Cumulus Transition (Joao Teixeira)
Friday July 9
New Themes for US CLIVAR
Goals – explore motivation and research challenges in these areas of climate research; identify primary gaps in knowledge and capabilities in each area; discuss, and where possible, identify research areas where US CLIVAR could contribute/lead and/or work jointly with programs to respond to research challenges. The following questions should guide the presentations and discussions.
- What are some of the motivations and key research questions, especially as they relate to the climate variability/predictability and role of the ocean?
- Given CLIVAR’s overarching goals of improving our understanding of climate variability and predictability on time scales of seasons and longer, especially focusing on the ocean’s role in the global climate system, what are the research gaps and activities that are most needed to address these research questions in areas of
- Observing/monitoring and synthesizing of historical information (e.g. reanalyses)?
- Process understanding?
- Assessment, validation, and parameterization of key processes in coupled climate models used for predictions and projections?
- Characterizing predictability and improving prediction capabilities?
- In what areas could US CLIVAR help facilitate and coordinate research to address these gaps? What are the feedbacks/connections of this area of science to CLIVAR’s research activities (e.g. does the summer sea-ice melt in Arctic impact prediction/predictability of mid-latitude climate?)